Tuesday 12 July 2011

Baby shower ideas

I've managed to keep the posts going for consecutive days so far.  Didn't want to break the trend so have saved this one up to fill in the gap that is anticipated today...

Last month I had a baby shower at my house for one of my friends.  She isn't one to enjoy being the centre of attention so we tried to keep it low key.  A few of use got together on the organising and divided up what needed doing and the food etc.  Of course I jumped at the chance to get crafting but tried not to get carried away. 

The invites were made using one of the characters from the Daisy and Dandelion range from Docrafts.  As we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl the colour theme had to be gender neutral and the mum to be likes purple... so it was an easy them to work with, also being my favourite colour.

I layered up the hedgehog and then found some suitable papers (Fizzy Moon and sticky backed glitter) and embellishments to finish it off.



Instead of goody bags for everyone to take home afterwards I came up with the idea of having personalised wine glasses, which could be used during the shower and then taken home as a memento.  I had to keep these fairly simple though as I've only recently got into the glass painting thing so went with a butterfly theme.
I also painted a ceramic bowl and mug set with the same butterfly theme for the equivalent of a guest book that everyone could write a short message for the baby onto.



Whilst I was busying myself painting things, the other girls worked on the game ideas. 

We had a Mr and Mrs type quiz where the dad to be had to answer some baby related questions which were then used in a multiple choice quiz for the mum to be with prizes for right answers and prizes for the rest of us for wrong answers.

Everyone who attended had to provide a baby and toddler photo of themselves beforehand, which was then used for a guess the baby game.  I actually found this quite hard, despite there being only 8 of us to guess... however once you knew the answers it was obvious who was who!

Finally, a sweep stake was in order... although we have yet to find out if it's a boy or a girl, I did manage to extract a number of potential baby names and I couldn't resist making some cute ATC type cards with each of these on.  I used a Tatty Teddy clear stamp that came free with a Creativity magazine for these as the baby's nursery has a teddy theme.  The name tags were cut using a mini punch and as the doodle writing turned out so well, I braved using the same freehand on the glasses, bowl and mug.


Of course I had to make a tag for the present and a card for the parents to be.  For the card, I used the same papers and colour theme as I did for the invites.  The picture panel is cut out from Fizzy Moon papers which are absolutely adorable and include the cute bears in poses suitable for all sorts of occasions. 

I had so much fun organising everything, and it's so lovely to get some use out of my lovely house and have people round.  The hardest part was restraining myself from coming up with more ideas for making more bits and pieces...

No comments:

Post a Comment